Fort Santiago
I felt like a kid attending his first day in the school when I got a chance to see and explore the Fort Santiago for the very first time. I was excited and a little afraid at the same time. I was excited because that was my first time to experience the famous Fort Santiago. I never even thought of being there at all, it was a blessing that my part-time job brought me there. I was a bit afraid because I didn’t know much about the place and its people. However, excitement got the best of me. After paying the entrance fee, I excitedly entered the old entrance to Fort Santiago.
The beautifully developed park welcomed me. There were even fountains that were very family-oriented. There was a young father taking pictures with his active little boy before the fountains. Excitement was so obvious on their faces. Souvenir stores which offered beautiful art works and gift items were lined up on the left side of the road. If only I had spare money with me, I would never leave the place without buying one. They were irresistibly beautiful! I would love to see one of those fine-looking paintings pinned on the wall of my room. Well, there would be always next time, that I hope so!
Few steps from the entrance gate, right after the souvenir stores, there was a small tunnel to the Shrine of Our Lady of Guadalupe. There was an eerie feeling going through that tunnel. Something like a spirit from the past was left hanging in the air, watching after you. It was really strange, almost spine-chilling. I could even hear my controlled breathing; the sound of the echo inside was fascinating itself. It was just a short walk through that tunnel; however, if you would pay keen attention to the experience itself inside that tunnel, it was something else.
At the end of the tunnel, there was the small yet very impressive chapel of Our Lady of Guadalupe. It was just right for you to say a little prayer or not, while appreciating the beauty around you. The place had a sense of sacredness. It was peaceful there but be careful with the flying golf balls because it was just near or a part of the Club Intramuros, a golf attraction there. Ironic, right?
After the spiritual visit at Our Lady of Guadalupe, I went to the Fort Santiago proper. It was surrounded with very thick and old walls. Before reaching the main entrance, there was a bridge over a green river-like body of water. I caught a couple of Korean tourists around the area who were beaming with amazement with what they were seeing. Suddenly I was proud of myself being a Filipino.
Going through the main entrance, I was imagining those people from many years ago who just walked through the same location I was standing that very moment. I thought of happy people, and of course, of not-so-happy people. I did touch the rough wall, feeling its stories from different centuries. I had a feeling of both amazement and envy for these walls which had been the witness of our colorful history. They had seen so many things and people I could only imagine.
It was good to see the Rizal Shrine, the first thing you would find after going through the main entrance. I was like comparing that shrine with the Rizal Shrine we had in Calamba. I believed we had a better one. They were both important and beautiful, though.
To the left, there was the final footsteps of Jose Rizal embedded onto the concrete ground which was representing the walk from his chamber to the actual location of his execution. I noticed his footsteps were small compared to mine. I remembered he barely stood five feet. That was a bit inspiring to think that his height was never an issue of becoming the Great Malayan in the history of the world. Silently I learned something right from that experience.
There were old prison dungeons which were transformed by the hands of time into mini-museums. I felt a bit of grief while thinking of many unsung heroes that suffered and died within these walls and there were no records of their names and stories. It was somehow a relief that there was a sacred cross to honor them all, located near at the far end of Fort Santiago.
The view of the Pasig River from the Fort Santiago was impressive enough to find some Korean tourists making a pose for some snap shots. Some of them did pose with the guard in a Guardia Civil costume.
I explored into every corner there was in Fort Santiago, into some dungeons there especially the one which was once occupied by Jose Rizal. There was even a model statue of him behind those old bars. What a real hero he was, and I was so proud of him. Thinking of corruption and dirty politics in our country today, I was feeling ashamed and wanted to tell him that I was sorry on the behalf of millions of hard-working Filipinos around the world that his beloved country was still captive, now under his very own fellow Filipinos. How I wished that it was still not too late that his sacrifices and of those many other unsung heroes to be not just a beautiful stories on pages of many history books, but a powerful nudge to transform our selfish deeds into a true patriotic acts.
All in all, it was a wonderful experience to visit Fort Santiago. I learned a lot and felt mixed emotions of my being a Filipino. There were factors that made me proud of being a Filipino. Like the products of great minds and our so colorful history. Even though I realized so many not-so-good things with the situation we were in today, I still had faith in us. Just like what these walls were whispering to us. #
No comments:
Post a Comment