Reasons for working abroad by many Filipinos vary from financial necessity to personal and sometimes, more complex reasons. Just like Jose Alden Habacon who, at the young age of 23, is determined to explore his abilities and limits, to find his real self.
Alden used to be a working student while taking up a 2-year HRM course in Los BaƱos, Laguna. He was able to balance the demands of his job as a service crew in a fast food chain store in their area while maintaining his excellent school grades. When he graduated in 2005, Alden continued working in one of the busy food chain stores in Calamba City, Laguna, while preparing himself for a job in Dubai.
On February 14, while most of the people were celebrating the season of hearts, Alden was busy sending emails of goodbye to many of his friends. "On that same day, I left the country to work for TGI Fridays in Dubai. Although gaining higher financial income is a motivation, but that is not my primary reason.
I am actually proud that I made it - to get a job abroad. I want to experience life in a totally different perspective. I don’t think I was afraid the first time I got here. Excitement would be the right word to describe the way I felt that day."
Money was a concern as he did not have enough pocket money upon arrival but his fellow Filipinos came to rescue. "I was really thankful with our fellow Pinoys here who had supported me until I received my first salary."
Working in Dubai was not as easy than Alden thought it would be - especially the weather. "On my first day, it was so cold that my lips got swollen. The next day yung pisngi ko naman! When I looked at the mirror, I was like, oh no, mukha na akong siyokoy!
My body suffered a lot. If it is hot here, it is very hot. If it is cold, it is very cold. It took me around three months before my body finally gave in and accepted the fact that I am no longer in the Philippines but in Dubai!"
Alden happily joked, referring to his body as if it was another person. "Throughout those first three months, I had a pimple on my left cheek which, isa lang iyon pero kasing laki yun ng pigsa! I had fever. There were times when I got home from work, namamantal buong katawan ko. Worst thing happened when I woke up one day with so many pimples on my face!
I also had problems in adapting to their time that resulted to sleeping problems. Masakit sa ulo. Inom ako ng inom ng mga gamot. Now I am happy that those days were finally over.”
But in general, Alden considers everything as fine. The only thing he could consider a problem is when other foreign workers try to discourage them. "Some of them are not as friendly. We just don’t mind those who, as if we don’t know, are insecure because we Pinoys are a lot better than them in terms of good work performance. Kahit minsan nakaka-sama na talaga sila ng loob. They bad mouth us whenever they have a chance to talk to the boss. Fortunately, our boss does not easily believe every word they say.
To overcome the work politics, we just encourage and support each other here. Whenever we have problems, everyone is willing to give you advice, a helping hand."
During days of rest, Alden just go to the mall. He observed that the crime rate is low because of strict regulation in Dubai. "Lahat takot gumawa ng mali."
Despite disappointments encountered, Alden is proud to be an OFW. "Working overseas entail some sacrifice. Pag mahina ka, wala ka mararating. Nothing is easy in this life. You have to work for your dreams. And I know God is always with us wherever we are.
I miss the Philippines, my friends, my family, and the traffic. I am excited to go back soon. But right now, I am enjoying every moment here and saving money so I could put up a small business when I come back there."
at 6:44 PM
No comments:
Post a Comment